How To Renew A Drivers Licence
Drivers licence in South Africa according to the laws of the land must be renewed every 5years technically 4years 11 months per the rules of the land. Four weeks to the expiration of the driver’s licence must be renewed to avoid you applying for a temporary driving licence as a result of renewing it after expiration at a cost.
During renewal, a driver will undergo all the necessary steps including taking a driving test, eye testing and fingerprints will be taken. Other options include drivers visiting the eye clinic and submitting a substantive report to the driving licence testing centre (DLTC). In some cases where there are issues with your eyes, new terms would be added to your driving licence.
Driving licence can be both done online as well as visiting the DLTC office nearby. For online renewal, one must have his/her valid photo. Also, your licence number will be needed to help in the renewal online. It can also be done at mySA GOV account
Drivers Licence Renewal Requirements
- Visit your nearest DLTC with the following:
- Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, old driving licence card or valid South African passport
- Four black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require)
- Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address
- Prescribed application fee.
- All Gauteng residents should apply online for the renewal: https://online.natis.gov.za/#/
- Complete form DL1: Application for renewal of driving licence card.
- Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
- You will do an eye test or you can do it at an optometrist of your choice and take your results to the DLTC.
Drivers Licence Renewal Cost
The cost for renewal of a drivers licence is R140 and with cases where there must be a temporary driver licence as a result of the card being stolen or expired, an additional fee of R45 will be paid.
Where To Renew Drivers License
Drivers licence renewal can be done both online and by visiting of driving licence testing centre (DLTC). It can also be done in most post offices as now the department of transport announced a smooth process for motorist to renew their licence at some selected post office in South Africa.