What is UIF
Unemployment Insurance Fund is a type of insurance which started operation in the year 2002. As widely known as UIF, its main focus is to cater for workers when they become unemployed or workers under these circumstances including maternity, adoption leave, or illness.
UIF insurance is foreseen by South Africa’s legislation which includes:
- Unemployment Insurance Act, 2001 (the UI Act)
- Unemployment Insurance Contributions Act, 2002 (the UIC Act)
Employees who contributed to UIF can confidently claim their money after their terms with their employer come to an end or the employers of the UIF applicant goes bankrupt. In cases where an applicant has more than one employer still can claim hi/her funds if one employer’s company is no more.
Non-South Africans who are permanently employed in the country are also eligible for UIF
Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) Online Application
Application of UIF online is in two fold. Below is a step by step guide to help you register with UIF
For an employee to get UIF benefits he/she must first start a registration process on Ufiling to help him/her obtain a login name and password. uFiling is a secure Online system introduced to Employers to register, declare and pay UIF contributions.
On your top right hand corner after visiting the ufiling website ( http://www.ufiling.co.za), click on register and accept terms and conditions and continue.
On the next phase you need to fill in your necessary credentials like fullname, username, type of ID and ID number, contact, email address among others.
An activation code will be sent to your contact number which will help you to activate your uFiling account. The same activation message comes along with your username and password. Use these credentials to login and change your password to your prefered password.
The next step which is the vetting process helps confirm your demographic information. Provide the correct information because the Department of Labour will validate it with their data.
You will fail the vetting process if you answer any of the questions incorrectly. In case you fail, the system will bring up a “Vetting failed” page. Click on “UIF Services Support” link and provide the required information via email.
Once you pass the vetting process, the system will direct you to another page for you to update your personal details before proceeding to the uFiling website.
How to apply for UIF online
Here is the step-by-step guide on how to apply for UIF online:
- Step 1: Login to your uFiling account and click on “Benefit Application and Payments” on the left side of the page. Next, click on “Apply for Benefits.”
- Step 2: Choose the type of benefit you wish to apply for and click “Apply” on bottom right.
- Step 3: Tick the check box to accept the terms and conditions, and then click “Next.”
- Step 4: Verify your bank details and click “Next.”
- In case the details are incorrect, click “Banking Details Incorrect?” You would need to download the U12.8 form from the Department of Labour website.
- You must fill one section of the form while your bank must fill the second section. Email the filled form to VOsupport@labour.gov.za.
- Step 5: Confirm your personal details such as addresses and click “Next.”
- Step 6: Complete your occupation and qualifications details and click “Next.”
- Step 7: Update your work seeker information and click “Submit.” You will receive a confirmation message if your application is successfully submitted to UIF.
We have four types of UIF benefits including;
- Unemployment benefits
- Illness Benefits
- Maternity Benefits
- Adoption Benefits
- Death Benefits
When To Start Receiving My UIF money
From all indications, UIF benefit money must be received after eight weeks of official registration. Once payment commences, every four weeks your bank account will be credited.